Discover the city of Lila and Lenù
This tour of Elena Ferrante's Naples is a roving book club with lots of in-depth conversation about the extraordinary Neapolitan novels in the places where the stories are set.
8 guests only
- Trace the lives of Elena, Lila, Nino and all the characters in the Neapolitan novels. See the neighborhood of their childhood, the stradone and the infamous tunnel. Have drinks in the Piazza dei Martiri where Lila ran her shoe salon, the Vomero where Elena lived with Nino and the view from Posillipo where Michele bought his elegant villa.
- Spend 2 days on Ischia and see Barano, the Maronti and the Aragonese castle.
- Eat amazing Neapolitan food from pizza at the most historic pizzeria in Naples, sfogliatelle and pastry like the ones made by Signor Spagnuolo and seafood.
- See the extraordinary art collections in Naples including Museo di Capodimonte, the Naples National Archaeological Museum and the famous "Veiled Christ."
DAY 1: WELCOME TO NAPLES
Day 1 is an introduction to Naples that starts in front of the elegant Gran Caffè Gambrinus and lets you gaze at the Teatro San Carlo opera House, the Royal Palace of the Bourbons and the Piazza del Plebescito. From there you’ll walk Via Chiaia, have lunch at the oldest pizzeria in Naples, then visit Piazza dei Martiri where Lila had her infamous shoe salon. You’ll meet Salvatore Argenio in his historic tailoring shop before strolling along the Lungomare at sunset. The focus of Day 1 is shopping, strolling and taking in the beauty and rhythm of Naples.
DAY 2: THE HISTORY OF NAPLES
Day 2 is a crash course in the 3,000 year history of Naples. You’ll follow the Via Toledo through the Spanish Quarter, come to Spaccanapoli where you’ll see the Barqoue splendor of the Church of the Gesù and the majolica cloister of Santa Chiara, Then you’ll have a classic Neapolitan lunch followed by a tour of the Naples Underground and then finally the magnificent Veiled Christ, one of the most visually arresting carvings that makes even the most cynical museum goers gasp in disbelief.
DAY 3: THE LIVES OF LILA AND LENÙ
On Day 3, with a solid understanding of Naples, you’ll now fully immerse yourself in the lives of Lila and Lenù. Beginning with a morning in the Rione Luzzatti, a look at the library, the elementary school and the Church of the Sacred Family, you’ll then drive through the infamous tunnel toward Bagno Elena, the elegant beach club where Elena had a summer job babysitting and then to the tony Vomero neighborhood where Elena lived when she returned to Naples to be near Nino.
DAYS 4 & 5: JOURNEY TO ISCHIA
Days 4 & 5 are set in Ischia. From Naples, travel by ferry or hydrofoil to explore the Castle of Ischia, the little town of Forio and Maronti beach where so much drama plays out in Books 1 and 2. Here you’ll experience just how different life was for young Elena as compared to the neighborhood in which she was raised.
Lunch included on Day 4
(2 night stay in Ischia. Day 5 includes a short tour and then free time to enjoy the beach or a thermal spa.)
DAY 6: ARRIVEDERCI NAPLES
Finally, Day 5 is meant to capture the legacy of Naples. We'll take an early morning ferry from Ischia to Naples. A private van will pick us up and bring us to the Cathedral of Naples and the chapel of San Gennaro, the city’s patron saint whose blood miraculously liquefies every September 19th. Finally we'll have lunch together at Tandem where you’ll have the world’s best ragù.
The van will hold guest luggage during the day's activity. Final drop-off at the train station, Napoli Centrale.
$3,200 per person double occupancy
$3,800 per person single occupancy
- 4 star accommodations in the historic city center in Naples and Ischia
- All breakfasts, one dinner and two lunches
- All guides and tours
- Museum admissions
- Ferry to and from Ischia
- Van pickup from Naples port and drop-off at Napoli Centrale (train station) on final day of tour
- Paperback copy of Ferrante Fever: A Naples Guidebook Inspired by Elena Ferrante's Neapolitan Novels
- Trip insurance
- Spa entrance in Ischia
Questions? Contact Danielle at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 917-881-3918 between 10am-6pm EST