Discovering Irpinia for Dream of Italy newsletter
One of the highlights of 2016 has been connecting with Kathy McCabe, founder of the award-winning Dream of Italy Newsletter and host of the PBS series. Earlier this year she put me in touch with Bethanne Patrick who wrote a piece about our tour of Naples inspired by Elena Ferrante. Then in late summer, Kathy asked me to write about Irpinia, the gorgeous mountainous region east of Naples.
Christian, my husband and Feast On History Wine Director is fond of saying that Irpinia is the new Tuscany. I'm fascinated with its rich medieval history. And Kathy has an extra special connection to the region as her family comes from Castelvetere sul Calore. We're all very excited to share Irpinia with you.
My article titled "Irpinia: Ancient Meets Modern in Southern Italy" is the feature of November's "Dream of Italy" newsletter. It's available by subscription only and there's a special offer for Cyber Monday.
From Kathy McCabe:
You know the magic of Dream of Italy - give a membership as a gift. The recipient get a bonus art print AND on Cyber Monday only - a bonus book. Starts at just $27...for a unique gift that you can't buy in stores. Gift package will be mailed mid-December or at your request.
My Irpinia stories and recommendations for Dream of Italy include:
- A tour through the exposed medieval ruins of Goleto Abbey
- Tasting wine with master winemakers Salvatore Molettieri and Luigi Moio
- The cantina at Feudi di San Gregorio and dinner at their Michelin-starred restaurant designed by Massimo Vignelli
- The story of the "Madonna of Transformation", a place that has been sacred for transgender pilgrims since the 13th century
- And the place where I ate the single best meal of my entire life. (Hint: it wasn't at a fancy restaurant, but at a small place in the countryside.)
IRPINIA FOOD & WINE TOURS
If you would like to take a tour of Irpinia with Feast On History, we're putting the final touches on a week long tour in July 2017. The tour will be strictly limited to 14 guests and will include visits to all the sites and restaurants described in my Dream of Italy article including the place where I had the best meal of my life. We also offer customized itineraries of Irpinia for private clients.